Retailers: Making Certified Humane® Work For You
Currently Certified Humane® products can be found in 9 of the top 10 US retailers, in over 10,000 supermarkets in all 50 states.
Are you one of them? If not, here's why you should be:
- Benefits to your customers
- Certified Humane® has the highest animal welfare standards for farm animals in food production and is endorsed by over 50 organizations.
- Certified Humane® has the highest recommendation as an Eco-label from Consumer Reports.
- Certified Humane® has been recommended by Good Housekeeping, Vanity Fair, Family Circle, Time Magazine, Self Magazine, and other mainstream publications.
- Certified Humane® is a label that consumers find easy to understand (Label Reading From a Consumer Perspective, The Hartman Group, December 2007)
- Benefits to Retailers
Certified Humane® certification offers the complete package to the retailer:
- Humane Animal Care Standards written by a 26-Member Scientific Committee of animal scientists and veterinarians;
- Standards for laying hens, chickens, turkeys (including poultry slaughter), pigs, beef cattle, dairy cows, sheep, goats and young dairy beef;
- On farm audits;
- Slaughter audits; and
- Traceability audits (we track Certified Humane® products from the farm to your shelf.)
- Transparency – All relevant information about Certified Humane® is available on the website, including:
- Ease of separation and segregation with Certified Humane®: one certification, one label. In contrast, humane programs with multiple steps would require multiple areas of separation and segregation to be designed at the retailer level to accommodate the different products for each step.
- Certified Humane® promotes the retailers who have Certified Humane® product in their stores. Due to demand from consumers who wanted to know where they could buy products that were Certified Humane® we created a searchable data base on our website:
- “ Where to Buy” section of our website; receives more than 12,000 new unique visitors per month, and 11,000 returning visitors each month.
- Frequent email “shout outs” letting consumers know about specific retailers who carry more than one Certified Humane® product
- Benefits to your suppliers
- Certified Humane® has the lowest cost to your suppliers in comparison to the cost of other certification organizations. We can keep the cost of inspections low because our inspection staff consists of highly qualified, individual independent contractors, not high cost audit firms. You are assured that the supplier is receiving the highest quality audit, farm, slaughter, and traceability at a cost they can afford.